Saturday, August 29, 2009

Trial of the new running shoes

So last weekend I purchased new running shoes (Nike) from the Road Runners store. When I got my shoes sized they mentioned an added insole for the shoe that would give me more support. After 2 trial runs (1 on the treadmill, 1 road) they seem to be causing more pain than before-- i.e. left knee pain, left foot big toe pain, and my achilles heel on my right foot. I then tried the run on a treadmill and the pains were gone without the insoles. I told the person at the store that I am not a big fan of them because when I had them for basketball in high school they just hurt my feet more. But being a slow learner, I decided maybe I should give them a try since it may be different...well it wasn't. haha I will probably return them tomorrow and get my $25.00 back. The shoes are definitely comfy so I am very excited and they have helped with the pain I was feeling before in my old shoes.

For running we are on the 3rd week of training which is past the 2 mile mark. For the strength training we are taking a week off to let the muscles recover from the number of weeks we have been lifting weights. Then after a week we'll be going back to the mixture of running and strength training. But so far everything has been going great. We are officially registered for the coastwisemile race in La Jolla that has a 5k for Oct. 3rd. It'll be a fun race. I may be making shirts for race day but that's a little far off.

1 comment:

  1. LOL I want a shirt...I want a shirt. o the insoles for me was similar...a bit uncomfortable the first few days but after wearing them the whole day to break them in it was fine. I think it just took a little getting use to with the new arch support. Dang it's crazy that the run is coming so close. I have to stay inside and stick with the treadmill now...Air quality from the fire is absolutely terrible...I totally envy you oceanside people :)

    ReplyDelete