Friday, July 31, 2009

Introducing soreness!

Yesterday I jogged 2.5 miles with a .5 mile of a warm up and cool down to total of 3 miles. The path that I ran was not flat because it's California and I live in a city with a Mesa as the second part of the name....so there were rolling hills. When I got up this morning my hamstrings were pretty darn sore. It wasn't sore in the sense that I  hurt myself and my muscles are sore and it hurts with pain. The last time I remember that type of soreness, I did squats with too much weight and just the act of the sitting in a chair was like setting my butt and hamstrings on fire with a match. So the soreness today is a nice welcome because it means that I worked my muscles out very well yesterday. I don't remember running on a treadmill and actually being sore like this. Usually the soreness is from my knees, shins, and any other thing that feels like complaining on a treadmill. Treadmills are great if maybe it's too hot outside or just more convenient but I definitely rather run outside and feel the soreness the next day. To me this type of soreness is like a reminder that I worked hard the day before and since it reminds me for the whole day of any type of walking, bending over, and sitting it's a CONSTANT reminder and great motivator.

Today's plan is to do the regular 20 minute cardio with Ron and the strength training circuits. We actually get to decrease the number of reps for the next couple circuits since that's what the book says. After a couple of the circuits, we continue decreasing the reps but then start increasing the sets...burn baby burn. haha It's cool because we're not doing as many reps for the next couple we can push ourselves with heavier weight and once we do that, we challenge ourselves with more sets. Keeps your muscles guessing... muahaha the muscles will never see what's coming! Alright crazy talk about my muscles of having a mind of their own is over. =)

For Ron's cardio we're planning on starting the couch potato to 5K training routine. We'll be doing it on the treadmill -- seems to be a better surface to run on than on concrete and asphalt. He's going to be my guinea pig for my practice of being a personal trainer...nice test to see if I would want to pursue a certificate for personal training.

Some may have noticed that I've already ran 3 miles so why would I train on the same plan as Ron. For me I have already trained for over a year for a marathon and completed two marathons in months of each other. Many people like running because it is an individual type sport and you can have your peace of mind. I have done my workouts like that by myself for way too long and it's really nice to train with your spouse because you're both working at a goal. Given that sometimes I do go jog an extra day and it does give me this "me-time" but I don't want to have to train by myself like I did for over a year. I guess I am a team sport type person ... woo hoo go team.... too bad my knees aren't good enough to keep me stable on a basketball court...*sigh*.  

Anyways, I will write again once we go through the workout tonight. 'Til then, Happy Running!

1 comment: