Monday, July 20, 2009

Week of Rest and back again

About a week ago I twisted my knee trying to teach my fiance how to play basketball i.e. shoot, lay-ups, and post moves. Of course I got excited about playing that I was jumping all over the place and *pop* there goes my left knee. I don't think anything tore since the achy/pain went away after 10 - 15 minutes of massaging it. I was a gimp for a while and took a week off. Now I am back to the routine.

Since at the time I didn't know if I was going to be out for a couple weeks I removed myself from the bet of weight-loss from my sisters. Of course I am feeling great now, and with the stress of loosing weight in order to not loose money is gone I don't feel too pressured. While I was on my week break I decided to remove some of the rich foods I was eating from my diet since I noticed a spike in weight gain within a week. *cry* So I removed a good majority of the rice and pasta I was consuming and substitute it for salad and veggies. Don't get me wrong, I am a lover to carbs, but I was eating more carbs than usual since I started trying out recipes. A week and a half ago I weighed almost 187 lbs and today I weighed myself and I am 183.2 lbs. Obviously I was doing something right with removing a good amount of carbs. haha

When I stepped on the scale I was like, alright just slide the smaller weight up to 38 so I don't get my hopes up but the balance metal piece plopped down when I hit 34 on the smaller weight. But I am happy about the weight loss...I guess the old school scales can't be off since you don't really calibrate them like you would for the digital ones.

So this afternoon's workout was pretty good. I wore my spandex capri things and a tank top -- I guess I was feeling good about myself so eh, might as well wear something cute to the gym. Plus if you wear shorts and bike....shorts just creep up and I get annoyed having to pull the shorts down every couple minutes. But I did 20 minutes on bike: Every 2 minutes increase the resistance by 2 levels until I reached level 9 and I stayed at that level until 15 minutes and stayed above 90 rpm. Then 1 minute rest at level 7 staying above 80 rpm. Then 2 minutes of level 9 at above 90 rpm, then cool down for 2 minutes at level 7 staying above 80 rpm.

I wasn't sure what level would give me enough resistance so that is why in the beginning I increased the levels by 2 every couple minutes. But now since I know what level is high for me, I will probably do 5 min. warm up with intervals at level 9 (above 90 rpm) for 2-3 minutes and 1 min. for rest at level 7 (above 80 rpm). Intervals seem to give me something to actually keep my brain entertained -- the thought that I get a break in less than 30 seconds seem to keep me motivated... I hate being a drone on the bike just pedaling along with no purpose. If I just did that then I wouldn't really be pushing myself. =)

After the bike I walked on the treadmill for a warm up of 5 minutes than jogged for 5 minutes at 15 mpm (min per mile) then walked for 2 minutes then jogged the rest at 15 mpm with a cool down. Did some ab work and then stretched. Overall was an awesome workout. I was just happy I didn't cause a scene on the treadmill -- like *pop* there goes my knee and I roll off the treadmill and end with a *bang*. So in my mind it was a good workout. =)

Tonight I will be going to the gym with my fiance to do some cardio + weights. I'm sure it will be an awesome workout. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment