Thursday, July 30, 2009

First run off the treadmill

As I mentioned yesterday, I decided that I wanted to try and jog on an actual road rather than the running of a belt of a treadmill. So I did. It was a hazy day and had a cool breeze which made it a perfect morning for some running. I wore my garmin running watch that tracks how far I have gone, and allows you to set alerts to let you know you've reached a certain distance, and so on and so forth....basically it's a pretty freakin' cool watch. Alright onward from the clear obsession I have with my running watch. =P

So I chose a path I have ran in the past, basically concrete sidewalk and a bike lane asphalt were the options. I did a warm up for 1/4 of a mile that was just a nice medium pace walk. After the 1/4 marker, I began jogging. From what I have always been taught from cross-country in high school and my marathon coach, running on asphalt is some how a little better than concrete sidewalk. I'm sure you would have to weigh in good for knees vs. higher chance of getting hit by traffic. For me if a car is going to go out of control, a sidewalk is not going to shield me. With that reasoning I jogged mostly in the bike lane.

Everything felt pretty good, except for my left hip muscle -- I guess the hip to the inner thigh muscle -- was bugging me near the end but went away once I did my 1/4 mile walking cool down. In the end I jogged about 2.5 miles with the warm up and cool down making the total mileage 3 miles. Not too bad for the first run off the treadmill in a while. The jogging pace was pretty decent: between 11 mpm - 12mpm.

Definitely need to find other paths to jog on though, preferably dirt and away from heavy traffic. But of course I am paranoid because being a woman running is some how a target for perverts. Even in Riverside, there were reports of women running around campus in the morning and being a victim of rape or damn near close to it. So of course I am paranoid. That's a reason why I am anxious to get dogs so I can have my buddies with me when I run. I would want maybe a routie or a pitbull type dogs, for one their big dogs and they are pretty intimidating to people. But that's on the wait list until we get a house.

Anyways, my run was successful and I am happy it was. Although my sunburn seemed to get irritated because I had little blisters on the skin when I got back (I did put sunblock on before I ran). Probably after a couple of days it'll go away. My eating habits have been good so far this week. I actually made a turkey sandwich for lunch with some wheat bread that has a little hint of sweetness and added slices of white onions and 2 pickles and it was amazingly awesome. The difference between the sweet flavor of the bread and onion with the saltiness of the pickles made it an interesting flavor. So just need to keep up on the good eats until it becomes routine.

Until next time, happy running! =)

No comments:

Post a Comment