Monday, July 6, 2009

Start of training

Today seems to be the first step back to my running after a year long of a dry spell for running. It's been a little over a year now since I have been diagnosed and recovered from my Pulmonary Embolism. So to take the right step with my workouts, I attempted to do 2 miles on the treadmill with a mixture of running and walking to test out how my lungs will do. 

Total time: 35:48 (min:sec)
Total distance: 2 miles
Warm-up walk- First 5 minutes

Run 5 minutes (15:48 mins per mile)
Walk 2 minutes (17:40 mins per mile)
etc, etc, etc...until 2 miles is reached

It actually felt really good and I didn't have any shortness of breath or chest pains which is definitely a plus! So I'll probably start to increase the amount of time  I run slowly through the week. I'll add in some time in the pool, since the pace that I swim seems to be working my lungs a lot harder than my gentle jog on the treadmill. My goal is to train for a 10K (which probably won't be ran until October) and then on to a 1/2 marathon if all goes well. 

I have invested in protein shakes and it's suppose to be some new type out there (Compete Lean Recovery Formula). I mean it's not the best type tasting because no matter what you mix with it, it's going to taste like a protein shake. The only way to minimize the taste is to put ice after mixing milk, fruit and the powder in a blender. Seems to help and I mean if it works for drinks that have alcohol more bearable then it's got to work for this little protein shake after taste.=) 

This week I should be starting up again for strength training in the evening. Tonight will be workout A out of my strength training book "The New Rules of Lifting for Women"...
1. Squats - 2x15 with body weight(BW) w/ 60 seconds of Rest
2. Alternating between:
a. Push up - 2x15 w/ 60 seconds of Rest
b. Seated Row - 2x15 w/ 45 lbs w/ 60 seconds of Rest
3. Alternating between:
a. Step up- 2x15 w/ 20lbs w/ 60 seconds Rest
b. Prone Jackknife- 2x8 w/60 seconds Rest

At first when I tried this workout, it seemed too little to do, but afterwards, I was convinced that it will get you sweating and breathing heavy. Alrighty will be back to report when I am done with my strength training. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment